Sunday, April 6, 2008

July 27, 2007- ENGAGEMENT

So we decided that this post would only be me (Brittany) writing. Back to the story....
Things really had been serious since that first trip to California. We both knew that we were just meant to be together forever. As the end of July was approaching, I had been putting a lot of thought into what to get Grant for his birthday. I wanted to make sure that it would not only be something that he loved but also something that had a lot of meaning. We had just returned from a third trip to California and I only had a week to put together all my ideas for him.

I have always had a love for Celine Dion music and she sings a song called "Then You Look At Me" which I have always referred to it as... "My Future Husband song". The words are really the epitome of how I feel about Grant. I really wanted to incorporate it into his birthday; he knew about the song and I felt that this would be a perfect way to present it to him.
So I spent my week working with the people at Fed-Ex, my plan was to print the lyrics on a very large picture of our silhouettes up in the canyon. I also had printed some pictures of us on magnets and I bought him a massage.
Everything was going well and the picture turned out perfectly. On Friday (his birthday) I surprised him by waking him up quite early to give him breakfast before he headed off to work. The day seemed to be going just as planned and I was eager for us both to finish work and be together.




When I got home from work, Grant had called to let me know that his boyfriends wanted to take him to Seven Peaks for his birthday. I was fine with that but still anxious for him to get done. SO I waited. And waited. And waited a bit more. And more. And then he called saying he was on his way. When he got to my apartment I was completely ready--car packed with the gifts and all. He looked extremely attractive. I told him we were going to eat wherever he wanted...and he picked my favorite restaurant..?!?! I was excited but kept telling him over and over that we should eat at his favorite place. Anyway, we had a lovely meal, talked about our day and I teased him a little about some surprises that I had waiting for him. 


After finishing up dinner we headed off to the Provo Temple parking lot where I gave him his presents!! When I pulled the big picture out of the trunk and set it on his lap.. he seemed very surprised. He made multiple comments about how sneaky I had been, getting them made without him knowing. I could tell that he was pleased with his gifts but for some reason it seemed like he wanted to get back to his apartment--so we did. When we got there, we walked up the stairs and I noticed that at the top of the stairwell there was a ladder hanging down from the roof. He and his roommates loved to sleep on top of the building so I just assumed that they were all hanging out up there. Grant was really excited to climb up there and he was up the ladder and on top of the roof before I knew it. I was upset. We just came from opening up his presents and I felt that he was more excited to go be with everyone else (who he had already been with half the night). Feeling a bit neglected, I made my way up the ladder. As I was climbing I heard our song ("Stolen" by Dashboard) start playing.

So I began singing along. When I got to the top I turned to see where he was. There was no sign of him. Instead there was a beautifully lit gazebo-ish thing. Covered in lace and rose petals. I had no idea what was going on. Then Grant popped out, holding the most beautiful roses I had ever seen. I started crying. I didn't understand why in the world he was giving me gifts on HIS birthday. Words really cannot express my confusion. "What are you doing? This is YOUR birthday!? I can't believe you" (I still can't believe how dumb I was. hahahaha) He replied with- "Well then give me the best birthday present I could ever ask for!" (still didn't get it) "Make me the happiest man in the world".  And then I understood. For the next 30 seconds my brain was out of control.  My thoughts-"Oh my gosh, you're proposing! This is THE proposal. You built all this for me?" While I was still putting it all together, Grant got down on one knee and asked, "Will you marry me?". And then I screamed- "YES!".


P.S. Grant had OBVIOUSLY put a lot of thought and work into the
proposal. Little did I know he had been planning/building this for
the past couple weeks. Here are some pictures of all his
hard work. Oh my gosh...I just love him!!!

8 sweet thoughts:

Kelly said...

CUUTE! I loove your ring! I remember at my wedding reception you were telling him what you liked and didnt like so i knew it was coming soon hehe

David and Shalynna said...

Hey guys! We're glad you found us in the blog world. That's such a cute story about Grant's birthday and the proposal (and also a beautiful picture of your silhouettes). David and I are both excited to hang out when we get back. How long will you be in Utah?

Jessica said...

very cute! you are beautiful brittany!

Jess and Matt said...

Pretty much the best story ever! That is like our engagement..I was thinking I was the sneaky one surprising HIM..hah! LOVE the whole story, and I LOVE that picture of your silhouettes. Beautiful.

Aubrey said...

oh my cuteness. What a doll! :)

The Clarks said...

I think we were on our blogs at the same time because your message showed up while I was there! I added ya! We'll have to have you guys over for dinner or somethin sometime before you leave!
Thanks for loving Preston!
jenny

Shalayne and Clayton said...

Hey there! Sorry I am the worst blogger in the world. That is a really cute story. Where are you guys living now!

trudy...{and jamo} said...

Okay!! LOVE IT! I'm going to totally copy cat you and your cute posts! secondly, check out www.simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com .....they have some way cute vintage templates you might like! Love ya!
p.s look at our blog, i fixed it!!!